د./ كارلوس فيرجيس روجر
د./ كارلوس فيرجيس روجر
He graduated in Medicine and Surgery at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Barcelona in 1980 and moved to Boston (USA) to carry out basic research in ophthalmology, completing a doctorate in Biology at Harvard University and his Doctoral Thesis on the mechanisms of tear secretion, which will be basic to understand the pathology of Dry Eye Syndrome, (Thesis presented in Barcelona 1983) and which earned him the National Research Award (1983).
Currently, Dr. Carlos Vergés carries out his professional activity as head of the ophthalmology service at Hospital Universitari Dexeus together with his entire medical team from the Advanced Ophthalmology Area, where he has a high-quality technological, medical and surgical team.
His area of interest is focused on the field of cataracts and the neurophysiological mechanisms of vision, especially related to sports.
1983-1986 Ophthalmology Assistant Professor, Faculty of Medicine of University of Barcelona, Spain
1986-1989 Head Anterior Segment Unit, Ophthalmology Department, Hospital Clinic of Barcelona, Spain.
1986-1991 Ophthalmology Head Professor of Faculty of Medicine, University of Barcelona, Spain.
1990-1992 Head Department Ophthalmology Hospital del Mar, Barcelona.
1989-1999 Head of Department of Ophthalmology of "Clinica Sagrada Familia", Barcelona, Spain.
2000-ongoing Chairman and Managing Director of Private Dr. Carlos Vergés Foundation.
2000-2007 Head of Department of Ophthalmology, "Institut Universitari Dexeus", Barcelona, Spain.
2007-ongoing Managing Director of "Area Oftalmologica Avanzada Dr. Vergés", Barcelona, Spain.
2018-ongoing Chairman and Head Department of Ophthalmology. Hospital Universitary Dexeus Quiron Salud. Universidad Politecnica de Cataluña.
- Nacional Research Award 1984. Ministerio de Educación y Ciencia: "Tear secretion mechanism. Importance of beta-adrenergic receptors in tear gland lachrymosities".
- National Award for the best doctoral thesis, Chibret Medal, 1984. "Personal contribution to the study of labral secretion. Determination of beta-adrenergic receptors in lacrimal cells"
- National Pharma-Industry Award 1987: "Treatment of immunological rejection in corneal transplantation by means Cyclosporin A"
- Prize awarded by the American Society of Implant-Refractive Surgery (ASCRS) to
best scientific video presented at its annual congress: "Real Pseudo accommodation".
First prize. Seattle USA April 1999.
- Prize for the most important technical innovation of the year 1999, by the Spanish Society
of Implant-Refractive Surgery. Delivered in the National Congress that took place in
- Prize for the best scientific contribution of the year 2000, "Laser assisted Non-Penetrating Deep sclerectomy", presented at the congress of the American Academy of Ophthalmology,
AAO - Dallas, USA October 2000
- Best Paper Award "GDx Analysis of Retinal Nerve Fiber Layer Thickness After LASIK", presented at the congress of the American Society Cataract and Refractive Surgery, ASCRS, May 2004, San Diego, USA
- Finalist for the "Rey Jaime I" Award for Basic Research, 2005, under the Patronage
of the Generalitat Valenciana and the Valencian Foundation for Advanced Studies.
- Surgical Technical Videos Award: "MICS under Vision ICL, The Hook Technique",
Presented at the IX International Congress of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, May / June,
2006, Belo Horizonte, Brazil.
- Member of the Executive Board of the International Society of Refractive Surgery (ISRS) and the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO).
- Member of the Editorial Board "Ophthalmology Times. Europe".
- Member of the Editorial Board "Cataract and Refractive Surgery" (USA).
- Member of the Editorial Board "Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today" Europe.
- Member of the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ESCRS).
- Journal Scientific Reviewer: Cornea, Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, American Academy of Ophthalmology, Cataract and refractive Surgery and Archivos de la Sociedad Española de Oftalmología.